Cold weather has set in so it is time for a steamy bowl of soup. This hearty soup will fill the belly and warm the soul. It is easy to make and it is perfect for leftovers.
I use my instant pot all the time especially now that we are full time in the RV. Soups are perfect recipes! After just a few minutes of steaming in the instant pot, soups taste like they have been simmering all day. Although, Phil is not usually a fan of soups if I make it hardy enough or throw cheese on it he won’t complain too much!
Be sure to check out our recent blog post: RV Cooking Tips & Meal Planning. It is packed full of tips for cooking in your RV!
Follow along as I make this recipe.
I am not going to bore you with all the how-to details of this recipe. I know you are clever enough to follow along with the recipe below.
Pasta e Fagioli
- Instant Pot
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey or beef lean
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes or more to taste
- 1 large celery rib chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 28 oz tomato sauce
- 28 oz diced tomato fire-roasted or Italian style preferred
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 medium zucchini chopped
- 15 oz kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz great northern beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups small pasta cooked al dente
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar more or less to taste
- water as needed to the desired consistency
- parmesan cheese if desired
- Press the Saute button on the instant pot. Once it is warm add olive oil. Saute onions for 1-2 minutes. Add the turkey, garlic and red pepper. Cook until turkey is brown. Press cancel. Drain extra fat through a strainer and return to the instant pot. Add celery, carrots, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, fennel seeds, kidney beans, and zucchini. Press Manual or pressure cook and set for 5 minutes. Make sure the valve is sealed. After cooking is complete quick release the pressure. While the soup is cooking prepare pasta according to package directions.Stir in balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.Add the desired amount of pasta in each bowl and ladle the soup over the top. Sprinkle parmesan cheese if desired.
Let us know if you try this hearty soup. We would love to know your thoughts.
Author: Stacy Farley, You, Me & the RV, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 2019